Wednesday, October 22, 2008
humble pie...
I joined some first graders in their Portuguese class today as a fellow student (sat in a student desk, filled in the worksheet on "frutas", and was called on by the teacher). I did use a pen on my worksheets (because that was all I had) and one little girl called me out, inquiring why I got to use a pen (I'll take a pencil next time). This little one also asked me if I worked at the school and when I told her that I did she said then I must already know Portuguese and why was I in her class. I only wish her logic about big people knowing stuff was correct. Today I learned about names of fruits...."Minha fruta favorita é melancia (My favorite fruit is watermelon)." I may have my humble pie with maçã or pêssego though. It is always good to be reminded that despite my previous notions, I do not, in fact, know everything (or even close to what some first graders know)!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
4 comments:
One chapter in your "Goldilocks" book could be "are you as smart as a (Brazilian) first grader?" You're certainly setting a good example for students that we all need to be lifelong learners. Keep it up!
Love you, DAD and MOMgre
I FINALLY found your blog. Some of us are slow learners. AND you've already been gone too long..."Goldilocks"...I don't think so. Snow White maybe! Sounds like you are having a great experiece. Many remind me of things we went through in Britain although the language barrier was a bit different and I only had to "teach" my own four! For breakfast today I had a coffee and a cappucino (sp?). Good, huh! Yesterday I had a cofee, a cappucino and a Snoogle. Very tasty. The day before...2 eggs, over medium, 4 bacon, 2 pancakes, coffee...need I go on about breakfast! I spent Sun, Mon and part of Tues in Ohio finishing up some "condo" stuff since my sister's death. ALMOST DONE. Now to get it sold. Wed. I spent with Amy & Carol unloading a truckload of items into Amy's garage. Amy was able to use lots of items in her home. Good thing she loves 60-70's stuff. She has a lovely "new" couch, 2 chairs, coffee table, piano bench that isn't a piano bench in reality but it works, and a small setee type of thingy. And a very nice dinning room table and chair set. None of the family wanted this stuff and so it is now being donated wherever I can find needs! I also ran around trying to find someone who would cut my hair and finally the third place had an opening. However, she didn't tell my she only had time to wash and cut it...so I met some old England friends for supper with a wet, droopy, stuck to my head hair do. Hadn't seen them in years but I guess by this age no one cares anyway. We had a good visit and a good dinner at Pasta-riffic (again,...sp?). I was so exhausted I hit the bed and was out by 9pm...very unusual for me. Tonight is church...I have JAM/JOY. I love that age...perhaps it's the same age you teach. 4-6 years olds. Great fun only I just have 5-6 kids this time! And I only have them for 1.5 hours or so. I talked to Becca today. They are voting on a pastor this week. Ryan has actually had to "preach" during a Worship Service at least once lately. He is also waiting on some TDY orders to somewhere in Africa I think for 6 months. Becca is NOT so excited. But they are all well. Henry is turning over. Lennon crys during Jr. Church and Sunday school and asks for his parents. Marian is all Marian. So, now aren't you SORRY you asked people to blog you back! Keep on keeping on! Love ya, mean it. O, Beth IS in the movie, totally. For real. Like. (Haven't seen it yet, next week we will.) Marti & Chuckles (He has coffee and ceral and juice every morning.....)
Julia - I don't know if you received my other comments but we've really been enjoying your blogs. Didn't know you were so literary! We went to the Cat Shelter (Thanks to Cathie!) last week end. I won the grand prize - $600.00 errings. Needless to say they're gorgeous. Also, went to Michigan yesterday to my parents friends and learned how to make peanut butter cups! Yummo! I gave your parents (Garry) a dozen. Well, better close. Keep up the good work. We're praying for you. Love, Susie & Dick
Julia, your mom gave me your blog address today. I am so glad to be able to
Blessings!
Kathy Troyer
Post a Comment