This morning I headed off to the Federal Police with Rosa again, and this time three other ladies joined us. I have found that I thoroughly enjoy hearing other people's stories about how they ended up in Brazil and what they like/dislike about living here (really, I like hearing other people's stories anywhere about anything, because I'm a girl and I'm nosy and I like to know other people's business)....which makes me wonder why the rest of you aren't all writing blogs and telling ME all about what you ate for breakfast and what you've accomplished in life after the most important meal of the day??? Anyhow, we stopped at the Federal Police and picked up whatever it was that I needed there and then headed to the "Ministerio of something to do with the government" in downtown Sao Paulo to get work permits, or something to that effect. Again, Rosa gets everything together and I smile and nod, step up to counter when I'm told, sit down when I'm told, shhhh when I'm told I'm being a loud American in a little Brazilian office. We stopped on our way home from these errands so that I could have my first Brazilian coffee (the other ladies were aghast that I had been here 6 whole days and had not yet had Brazilian coffee). When I say coffee, I really mean half coffee, half milk, and sugar (cafe com leite). For a non-coffee drinker who is pretty ignorant about good and bad coffee, I think this was pretty good for what amounted to about 70 cents for a juice glass full of coffee (and milk) on an 80 degree day. When we returned to school, I made my way to the preschool where I spent the afternoon with my new little friends. One of these dear little ones asked me this afternoon if I had a baby. I replied that I did not, hoping that he had babies on the brain since one of his other teachers is eight months pregnant, and not because I look like I am eight months pregnant too. He later told me that when HE gets older, HE is going to have a baby in HIS tummy too (as he patted his tummy for emphasis). I told him that he would not be having a baby in his tummy and promptly changed the subject (I have not heard that it is in my job description to explain this to him, so I'm not going to). I'm going to chalk it up to babies on the brain, and continue to believe that I do not look like I'm with child. That will help me sleep at night.
I'm still waiting to hear what you did today...
2 comments:
My Julia :)
You always bring a smile to my face :) I can't wait to read of all your adventures!!! I actually read this on Wednesday morning, as we have company this week (Mel & Carl) & are spending much time running around the area...but, I had chocolate chip muffin tops by Eggo (ever so tasty!!) and a banana for breakfast today, & we are headed to the Children's Museum after lunch :) Love you bunches & bunches!!!
My dear Julia, The mom has missed all of your calls and the web cam experiences. I enjoyed your 1st email but haven't had time to figure out how to get on your blog. Dad looked it up for us and I just finished reading them. It has been a busy week. I was able to deliver 18 electronic babies this week with the help of a few lifeline calls to Mrs. Krug. She was very gracious and helpful. The students all took them home tonight and they have my phone number. I hope they have a good night. Several girls gave birth on monday so took theirs home last night. One said she was up until 3am. :(
Tonight the youth are helping us staple 525 good news club invitations. We start in about 2 weeks.
I'm a little short on sleep with too many nights trying to keep up at school so will sign off and take a little nap before school.
Love, mama
Post a Comment