our Thanksgiving feast...

may he rest in peace
We also enjoyed pumpkin cheesecake at our Thanksgiving celebration. It was supposed to be a simple 3 step process. That is if you have ready-made pie crust and canned pumpkin, which I did not, nor could I find either at the grocery store. So I bought vanilla wafer-like cookies and made my crust and bought a pumpkin and cut it and scraped it out and boiled it and scooped it out and puréed it and voilà, my three steps turned into thirty and my 10 minute prep time took 3 hours, but it tasted really good (and we have leftovers)!
My roommates also got two little Christmas trees with lights to decorate our house during this Thanksgiving weekend (judging from the box they came in, circa 1955). They found these boxes of Christmas cheer downtown for a grand total of $5 for the trees and $0.80 for the lights. The only downside is that the light bulbs are schizophrenic and half blink and half don't or half blink slowly and half blink at warp speed. It isn't good to stare directly at them, but they are Christmas-y and they, along with my poinsettias on the mantel, make me one holly, jolly girl.

my cousin Alex and I
Today, I had the opportunity to take a trip to Embu, a little place outside of São Paulo where there are lots of cute little souvenir shops (or junk shops as I have also heard them referred to). On the weekends they close some of the streets and have stands selling more local wares and lots of good food...like chocolate covered strawberries on a stick! This place reminded me a lot of Yellow Springs, Ohio (near Cedarville), very artsy, people in the street playing instruments or singing, beads, hemp, pottery galore. I found a few gifts for others and a few gifts for myself...Merry Christmas! One of my gifts was a hammock, and I even discovered that we have hooks on the back of our house and our back wall for this very purpose. I took a nap in my new hammock as soon as I got back from the market in Embu....love it, love it, love it! Maybe I will sleep outside from now on.

my new favorite thing
Happy Thanksgiving
Psalm 100:4-5
Enter His gates with thanksgiving and His courts with praise; give thanks to Him and praise His name. For the Lord is good and His love endures forever; His faithfulness continues through all generations.

No comments:
Post a Comment