This is spirit week at school in preparation for our varsity team's big soccer and basketball tournament next week. I dressed up for twin day (though I was actually a fraternal part of a set of triplets, including me and two of my roommates). I basically looked like my pre-schoolers wearing a polo stitched with the school's insignia and pigtails (one of my Kindergarten ESL students and two of my fourth grade ESL students had the same polos on that day).
So today I decided to look like a grown-up, complete with skirt and heels. I left my house in a grown-up hurry, missed a step and fell forward on my knees, scraping both of them up, one to the point of requiring two band-aids. I looked very adult with my boo-boos and double band-aids (though at least I salvaged some dignity by finding flesh colored bandages as opposed to cartoon ones). I cleaned myself up and went about my day, including a trip to the library where I was excited to find a video on thankfulness to show my precious pre-schoolers during this Thanksgiving month. I stepped out of the library, forgetting I had stepped UP into the library and again fell on my knees (luckily, I fell forward each time and in a somewhat ladylike manner, so my knees and pride were the only things worse for wear). I, unfortunately, had an audience this second time, though just a few colleagues who were kind enough not to laugh (at least not to my face). But an audience nonetheless, with the capability to judge me and my apparent inability to stay upright while walking. I walked more carefully for the rest of the day and explained my injuries to my curious pre-schoolers who sit at knee level to listen to me read stories and couldn’t see past my boo-boo to my lesson. I even told my war story in detail to a little one who got tripped during recess and believed that he was terminal without a band-aid (despite the fact that there was no blood or scrapes or scratches or any evidence whatsoever that he had any reason for the flood of tears streaming down his face). After showing off my battle wounds and telling about how I fell TWICE today, we washed his face and got him a drink of water and he felt much better telling everyone that Mrs. Julia had fallen down today too, just like him, but we were both going to survive (because I was wearing enough band-aids for the both of us).
Speaking of making a public spectacle of myself, I’ve graduated to a Portuguese class with my peers, as in other teachers, that will meet two nights after school each week, including homework and roll call. I think I'm going to miss my first grade friends who are learning about animals this week and automatically believe that I'm wise because I'm old.
2 comments:
Your "blogs" are so entertaining, but beyond that, they are also inspirational. I may have to find a class to read them to. It's so thoughtful of you to be an example to those Brazilian "tykes" in word and in deed. Are you literally falling in love with them? (ha, ha!)Mom has started the 2nd term at PHS. I have been a special ed sub the last couple of days. It's nice that the weekend is here. Hopefully we can regroup and catch our collective breathes (sp?). I don't know how well you remember Eliza Mae Clark...but she went to be with the Lord this week (and she gets to be reunited with her husband and son). It was fun listening to you interact electronically with the SMM girls Thursday. They really enjoyed the experience. Thanks for reminding us of the "password" so it could all be possible. Baber is taken care of. Enjoy your weekend.
Hello foreinger!!! Ha-ha. It's been a couple of weeks. Let's see...what has gone on here in good ol' Peru.
A new restauant. The Mexican by Subway has opened or soon will open a second next the Brady's. WE had lunch today at the old one...very tasty indeed.
You heard about Mrs. Clark. There was a very nice service at the church yesterday and a meal afterwards. Many ladies AND men helped which was most greatly appreciated. It was a good day and I'm glad she has graduated in her life. She was a very special lady.
It is getting cold here. No snow which pleases me. Grey, leaves mostly gone, dark early. You are missing this???
Wedding for Miss Anna getting close. About 20 days now. Things are going well. I have to hem the dress yet...that's about all there is to do. I think a couple of the gals in it still are looking for their dresses! It should be a nice day. Pray there is NO snow!!!!
I told the SMM girls they needed to also talk to Becca and Marian. They would be sooooooo pleased! I think the SMM girls have already forgotten who they are. When I show the Pearson kids their pictures only Abby seems to remember them a little. (:
We still haven't been able to get to the Creation Museum. Now we are thinking about Thanksgiving weekend...but then there's still Charlie! Dogs are such a pain.
Choir was a hoot today...2 altos, about 15 sopranoes. Could not one or two at least SIT with us! Very lopsided. Where is that Rachel!!!
They did a lovely tribute to the VETs last Sunday. Course, choir didn't see it. I've tried to get it on my computer but you have to know what you are doing so.........
but it know it was enjoyed by the men and ladies in the congregation. I found out that Janice Kubiak served too. She is a neat lady to get to know.
Ed Miller is 97 on Tuesday. He looked so good today and stood and waved at everyone as the whole church sang Happy Birthday. He's a sweetie for sure.
Chuck Hobson is in the hospital...had a scare of some sort yesterday and is just having some tests now. Bonnie and Candace both have surgery this week. Fires very close to Pastor Jeff & Pastor Jerry in LA.
I know what you mean about the news in other countries. It is so weird. Do you get on FOX on the internet? I actually get on Japan, Houston, Shreveport and Tuscon just to see what is happening in their neck of the woods! Not every day, but often. Houston has the most amazing web site for a radio station that I listen to alot. Especially at Christmas. It's mostly all music all season and it's lovely. Opps, said that already.
We are probably the only family in the state of IN who is watching Ice Skating right now. Colts vs. Texas, here, and Chuckles fell asleep with the remote and I'm too lazy to get up and get it. He was flipping back and forth with those two things, a dog show and something else. We are poor examples of Colt's fans! Someone has to do it!
Well, keep on keeping on. Lead those little ones to the Lord. ARe you free to teach anything and everything? Keep safe!!!!! What's this about falling in love????????????????? Marti & Chuckles and Charlie
Post a Comment