lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote!
(Benjamin Franklin)
Patriotism is your conviction that this country is superior to all other countries because you were born in it.
(George Bernard Shaw)
It seems funny to remember Veteran's Day today in a place where it is not recognized, where there are no parades or programs. And yet, I know there are so many veterans in places like this all over the world, where there are no parades or programs, and they woke up this morning like so many before to serve their country and fulfill their duties far from home. For their service, and the fact that I can recognize it as an American citizen on U.S. soil or foreign soil, I am very grateful.
It seemed funnier still not to be in America one week ago on a very historic election day. I missed a lot of the last debates, ads, and arguments, and I had sent in my absentee ballot weeks before. I wouldn't say I was necessarily disappointed to miss the political bickering and outright lies masked as partial truths, but it's part of the process. It seems strange to check the internet just days later and find the news about our President-elect at the bottom of the page, under "10 ways to a healthier you" and "5 tips to sell your house." The news changes so fast, our priorities shift so quickly and yet there are certainly some very real changes on the horizon in our country. It is very different to watch those changes from afar, as a spectator more than a participant, though knowing the changes will affect me, my family, my friends, people and places I care very much about. I am so glad that God is in control of each of those changes and He will not be surprised by what makes the front page news tomorrow.
Daniel 2:20-21...Praise be to the name of God for ever and ever; wisdom and power are His. He changes times and seasons; He sets up kings and deposes them. He gives wisdom to the wise and knowledge to the discerning.
1 comment:
Hi Julia!
I've enjoyed reading your updates! You are in my prayers!
Post a Comment